Operation Potty Training (OPT)
I've started operation potty training... or so I think anyway... it didn't go so smoothly today and it'll probably blow up in my face by 10am tomorrow morning but WHATEVER! I'm going to post about it because it's cathartic... I think that's the word I'm looking for...
Anyway, ever since Max was 14 months old we've been sitting on the potty. Sometimes because I say it's time to, sometimes because he asks. He's 2 ½ now and NEVER not ONCE has he ever peed or pooped in the potty in that whole time. In the early days he'd happily sit there while I read him a story or 9, or while he munched on cheerios. Nothing... in the more recent days he usually runs in the other direction when I even mention it firmly putting his foot down about the entire suggestion... "NO! No mummum! I don't yike the potty! NO!"
So for some brilliant reason, today when he woke up from his nap I decided we were gonna spend the rest of the day sans diaper. So on went the big boy underpants and we had the big pep talk about staying dry and peeing on the potty. We talk about what to do on the potty and read books about it all the time, I'm SURE he at least has a partial concept of what I'm describing.
1/2 an hour in... I'm not pestering or forcing him to sit on it, I'm not bugging him every 1.7 seconds with "ARe you dry? Are you still dry? Do you have to pee?" But I'm checking and non-chalantly conversing about what he's supposed to do. 1 hour in... Still good, no signs of having to pee, no mention of peeing from his end.
1 hour 30 minutes in... my friend calls me and distracts me for 3 minutes. I hang up, turn around and ask him if he's dry. "Yes, all dry mummum." I check... NOT DRY... sitting in a huge wet gross spot of pee... Of COURSE he wasn't going to go in the potty the very first time I put underpatns on him... DUH... I KNEW that! I DID! Why didn't I put a towel under him or something???
Okay, no big deal, let's go get new underpants and clean the couch cushion off. Done.
40 minutes later, dad's home from work, we're in the kitchen talking, in walks Max "Let's go potty mummum." Surprised but pleased looks all around! "Okay! Let's go!" "NO! NO potty! ALL DONE!" Running away from me. It's because he peed on the couch again. But this time on the towel so at least it's not in my cushion!
Then 3 times before dinner he peed on the floor, the 3rd time stopping himself and running to the bathroom in tears. He refused to finish up on the potty but at least he stopped himself!
After dinner he peed on the floor again just a little tiny bit but that was our last pair of Fruit of the Looms so he went commando for the last 2 hours before bed. Three times he grabbed himself and said "OH! Pee!!" And ran to the potty only to decide he didn't really want to use the potty so he opted to hold it. I know he really had to go though. But he held it anyway.
On went the diaper for bedtime after his bath and I'm sure it'll be soaked through by morning. But tomorrow is another day! I have to go to a meeting with my Jazzercise team in the morning to work out February's class schedule so we'll have to put on a diaper for that outing but I'm planning on spending the rest of the day at home.
Thus begins my foyer into the potty-obsessed world of Mothers of 2 Year Olds. It's something I started stressing out over the moment 2 lines appeared on the stick. I'm going to do my best not to project that onto my kid. Wish me luck.
Monday, January 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
how funny! i'm sure he be potty trained in no time! but i'm sure the first couple days are giong to be rough. in the ending paragraph, I wasn't sure if you were saying you are carrying #2? are you?
No, NOT carrying #2, as of yet... will keep you posted. What I meant was, the moment I found out I was pregnant with Max, I started worrying about how and when he was going to potty train. It's something I've watched so many of my friends/relatives struggle through, that i was dreading the moment. Yet here it is! :)
Post a Comment